For half a century American presidents have told us we must end our addiction to imported oil. Yet, we are more now dependent on imported petroleum than ever, costing us nearly $350 billion per year.
Finally, we can achieve the vision of cheaper, cleaner, American-made fuels. We already have the technology and resources to power our cars and trucks with far less expensive fuels, breaking the 100-year-old oil monopoly on transportation:
- Recent advancements in drilling technologies have resulted in a major increase in natural gas production.
- Agricultural breakthroughs have dramatically increased the yield-per-acre of biofuel crops.
- Electric cars are commercially available.
- Most vehicles are now equipped with flexible on-board computer technology that could accommodate different fuels.
Standing in the way are the existing fuel distribution infrastructure, a rigid regulatory regime, and the fact that 250 million vehicles on the road today only operate on petroleum.
Fuel Freedom Campaign™ is a non-partisan initiative dedicated to breaking our oil addiction with cheaper, cleaner, American-made replacement fuels by removing barriers to fuel competition.
Fuel Freedom means gasoline, diesel, methanol, natural gas, ethanol and electricity compete on equal footing both at the dealership and at the pump.
Achieving Fuel Freedom will reduce oil imports and lower fuel prices, spur economic growth, create jobs, reduce pollution, improve national and global security, reduce our trade deficit, and eliminate the need to send our sons and daughters to faraway lands to ensure the free flow of oil. Fuel Freedom means setting the nation on a path of long-term prosperity.
The time to act is now. No matter how much we drill for oil on our own, global demand will continue to drive up the price of gasoline, inflicting permanent hardship on all Americans.
The Fuel Freedom Project™ strategies include:
- Removing commercial and regulatory barriers so that innovation and competition can flourish.
- Enabling cost-effective conversion of existing cars to both run on alternative fuels and improve fuel efficiency.
- Directing automakers to produce cars, including hybrid and electric vehicles, capable of taking fuels other than gasoline.
- Working on a bipartisan basis with advocacy groups to create support for our goals.
- Sponsoring rigorous academic and policy research on the economic and environmental impact of oil and other fuels.
- Mobilizing the public through a grassroots campaign to demand cheaper, cleaner, American-made fuels on local, state and federal levels.
Nothing is stronger than an idea whose time has come. Join the fight for Fuel Freedom today.+